måndag 14 december 2009

Ink (2009)


Now this was a surprise! I was at a couple of friends apartment drinking beer last weekend and we had just been watching the glory that is Samurai Princess. We were talking about the latest movies we had seen and they started talking about a movie called Ink. I remember reading something about it, not enough to get interested but then they showed me the first 15 minutes and I was hooked. I dont want to talk much about the plot at all because the less you know, the more rewarding the movie will be. You see, when we go to sleep every night some sort of ongoing battle continues. One side gives us good dreams, the other bad. There is a war going on and tonight a little girl will be right in the middle of it. Oh, there is much more than that but I leave it up to you to find out.

The concept of the movie is simple and brilliant. I cant tell you much about it without spoiling, but what I can tell you is that the movie is full of awesome images and sounds, remarkably well shot for a movie on a low budget. Yes, the plot muddles a bit from time to time due to the fact that it can be a bit artyfarty but as soon as you start to lose your temper and look for a movie with exploding heads, it moves on to a scene with striking beauty. The slightly pretentious aura of the whole thing is probably what will keep the public from watching this, which is a shame. Think of it as a lowbudget arthouse version of Lord of the rings, for it is a journey, both for you and the characters in the movie and it is truly a journey I will make again.

2 kommentarer: